ScrumMaster Roles

While scrum seems widely adopted here I’ve noticed that there aren’t as many positions for dedicated ScrumMasters compared to Europe or North America. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who might have a perspective on why, and to what avenues an experienced SM might pursue besides the normal LinkedIn/insert job site here avenues. Thanks!

I’d wager there aren’t many dedicated ScrumMaster positions internationally either. While you may be able to find some postings, I think there’s only going to be one for every hundred developer positions (many companies don’t adopt scrum, those who do don’t necessarily have a dedicated ScrumMaster, and even if they do, there will be several developers for every ScrumMaster).

I’m assuming you’ve been searching for opportunities in English. A Scrum Master’s role is by definition communication intensive. While companies with both Japanese and international staff can deal with having developers who speak only English, it’s almost a given that someone in a management capacity needs to be a fluent Japanese speaker. So I’m guessing any opportunities that do exist are in Japanese.