I got an offer from a company that I’m seriously considering taking, but I’m not sure about it. I won’t provide identifying details or exact numbers, but here’s what it looks like:
- 10-7pm, 1 hr break so 8 hr work days
- Employed as a 正社員
- pay: (yen) 200k/month starting, 215k/month after 7 months
- up to 20k/month for commuting
- 家賃手当 with no numbers
- 健康保険、厚生年金、and a couple other kinds of insurance are mentioned but if I remember correctly it comes out of my pay
- 2 bonuses a year
These are my concerns:
- Will it be comfortable to live on?
- Is negotiating normal?
- How often do people switch companies?
- I’m a woman.
- How does this offer stack up against other foreign developer’s offers/lives?
- Are there questions I should ask human resources regarding the offer?
- Would it make more sense to gain experience in the US first? (If I do so, I feel concerned that I may lose my Japanese abilities.)
- Are there other concerns I should have? Things I haven’t considered?
If people have questions about how I got here, I’ll do my best to answer, but I’m hoping for some advice and commentary from people who have walked the path I’m looking at. Thanks!