TokyoDev forum

Career transition and opportunities for new grads?

I’ve been doing online university while working in Japan since the pandemic started and I’m on track to graduate next August with a second BSc. in CS. Coincidentally, that will also be when my employment contract is up for renewal. However, I am concerned because of my projected graduation date, age, non-traditional background (early 30s, second degree), and non-business level Japanese. I know it would be easier to start my career in my country (US), but I’ve already lived in Japan for several years and like life here. I was wondering how feasible would it actually be for me to actually start a career in software engineering here?

It’s not impossible if you’re already living and working here.

Likely the CS degree alone won’t be enough to get you a job though. Having things that you’ve made that demonstrate your skills as a developer will help. This could be technical articles or presentations, open source contributions, or your own projects. Working on this sort of thing will help you get a job, be it here or in the US.

You could also start looking for jobs before your degree is finished (e.g. a couple of months before). This would help give you an idea of how realistic it’ll be for you to get a job here before your current contract ends.