Career Advice for international student in Canada

Hello. I’m 19M from Myanmar, studying Software Engineering Technology in Toronto, Canada. It’s an advanced diploma. I’m wondering if I can find a job and my visa acceptance chance.
My plan is to work for 2 years in Canada after I graduate in 2025(with 1 year co-op experience) and then move to Japan. How are my chances?
Also, how much would the salary be? I’m expecting around 8 million yen a year since I’ll be supporting my younger sister to get into a university. Is it realistic?

While a bachelor’s degree will be recognized for visa purposes, an “advanced diploma” may not. I’m not sure there’s a way to find out for sure without actually applying for a visa, which requires a company to sponsor you. Because of this uncertainty, getting a company willing to sponsor you may be more difficult.

For developers with 2-3 years of experience, I found the average salary was ¥6 million. That was up ¥1 million from the year before, so if trends continue, by 2025 that may be a realistic salary.

However, there’s a lot of uncertainty in the world right now. For instance, the yen is getting quite weak compared to other currencies like CAD, and if that continues, it may be challenging to support family from Japan if they’re in another country.

If I were in your position, I’d be looking for opportunities that would increase my employability globally. For instance, doing a co-op term with a prestigious company, contributing to open source, working on personal projects, etc. Those can help you with getting a job in Japan or anywhere, so no matter what happens, they’ll be an asset.

1 Like