tokyodev forum

Can I get working visa if parent company is Japanese?


I currently work as a software developer in Australia and have worked in my current job for the last 10 years. It’s always been a dream to work in Japan so I think now it’s time to make it a reality. About 5 years ago the company I work for got bought by a huge Japanese company - Recruit Global. Seeing as i’m indirectly working for a Japanese company, can I apply for work visa and relocate to Japan? Or do I have to work directly for this parent company?

Thanks in advance :).

A working visa needs to be sponsored by the local entity who will employ you. So for Recruit Global to sponsor you, you’d need to become an employee of them when you entered Japan. It’s theoretically possible that your company could make a deal with Recruit Global so that you’d be an employee of them on paper, but you’d effectively operate as an employee of your current company.