tokyodev forum

Intra-company transferee visa

If say you worked at a Tokyo based company remotely overseas for more than a year as a developer/engineer. The contract is freelancing and not permanent office-based.

Is there a possibility you could be eligible for intra-company transferee visa?

I would assume the requirement would be that you need to be a full-time office-based employee but it not that clear.

My understanding of the specific situation that you’re asking about is working remotely for a company with offices in Tokyo, as opposed to freelancing for a local branch of a Japanese company. My assumption is that the visa wouldn’t apply in your case, as there’s no transfer between companies. However, with Japanese immigration, there’s a lot of grey area, and so I suspect it is hard to know for sure without applying.