tokyodev forum

Getting a job with 0 experience

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to go about getting a job as a full-stack web developer with no experience.
Here is a little background. I have lived in Japan for a while and I speak Japanese ( I struggle with Keigo). I have been teaching English for a long time and about 2 years ago I started to study programming. I started just watching youtube videos but then did an online Bootcamp (teamtreehouse.com). I did their full-stack JavaScript Tech Degree. I have 10 projects and a portfolio site to show what I can do. I am also working on an app for a dentist friend of mine but that is unfinished. A friend told me I should put that on my resume as experience but I am not sure if that would matter or come off as being dishonest. So far I have only been able to get an interview for an outsourcing company and they mentioned a low salary about 4 times during the interview.
Most companies will ask for my information but as soon as they notice I have 0 years of experience they aren’t interested anymore. I am a permanent resident so my visa is not an issue and I live about 100kms north of Tokyo so I could work in Tokyo if there was an opportunity.

I have read a lot about networking and going to meetups but I don’t know anyone in this industry and there are no meetups in my area. I have wanted to join meetups in Tokyo in the past but I work evenings and I would need to take a day off to get to Tokyo. I am hoping to find some online meetups, hopefully at a time when I am not working.

About two years ago before I started studying I sent an email to Paul asking about getting into this industry and he gave me some solid advice. I enjoy programming and want to start my programming career I just need someone to take a chance on me.
Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

I recently discovered (https://hntokyo.slack.com/) . You can talk here directly to developers in tokyo and they have a channel for a job board maybe you can find one there. The community is nice you can ask them anything. Hope this helps goodluck!!

Wow this is awesome. Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate it. I just joined. I have to go to work but I will have more time tomorrow so introduce myself and check out the channels. Again thank you!

Glad i can help :smiley:

Hi, by the way how do you get an invitation to the slack channel? I also want to join but seems like you need to be invited

You can get an invite via https://hntokyo.io/

1 Like