tokyodev forum

Applying to a programming job with irrelevant degree

Hi. I have an undergraduate degree in science (which is not relevant, as it is not a computer science degree) but I opted to self teach programming and I am currently pursuing a programming career. Although I have very limited experience, I want to apply for a job in Japan. Yes, it will be very difficult, but I do want to give it a try. I will create many apps. I also want to make up for lack of experience by making a lot of tutorials on blogs and maybe YouTube tutorials as well. I would like to also create some Udemy online courses to demonstrate my ability. I want to broaden my horizon and network regularly. I am willing to do just about anything to make it there. If I do all these things and make a big impact in the community and program at least in an intermediate level, is that enough for Japanese employers to take a risk on me? I am also willing to learn Japanese intensely and look to aim for n4 next 8-12 months and do n2 within two years of employment in Japan.

The main reason why Japanese companies care about having a degree is for visa purposes. A science degree may make you eligible for the Engineer visa, so that may be enough. See my visa guide if you haven’t already.

1 Like

Thank you so much! :grinning: